Botanical Name – Solanum Surattense
Tamil Name – Kandankathiri – கண்டங்கத்திரி
Malayalam Name – kantakari valutina
Hindi Name – Badi Kateri
Telugu Name – Pinna-Mulaka
Bittersweet nightshade is also called as European bittersweet or climbing nightshade. It grows from rhizomes and is a slender climbing or trailing perennial. It can reach 6 feet in length. Leaves are alternate, ovate, simple or deeply lobed with 1-1/2 to 4 inches long, and pointed at the tip.
Flowers colors are deep purple or bluish purple with flower stalk arising between the leaf nodes or opposite the leaves. Fruits are nearly round which turns turn red when mature and stay on the vines through mid-winter.
- Raw Nightshade has properties as laxative, rejuvenative, purgative, astringent.
- Its fruit paste is good in reducing swelling, hastening the healing process and cleansing the wounds and ulcers.
- This paste used as relief element to the eyelids, in case of conjunctivitis.
- Gargling with the nightshade powder decoction can be used for treating stomatitis, oral ulcers, and sore throat.
- It used as a good astringent for loose gums, bleeding, and ulceration of gums.
- Used in preparing ‘Triphala’ which is often used for hair wash, brush teeth in pyorrhea and treat bleeding gums.
- Regular consumption of dried nightshade powder which is fried in ghee will promote longevity and boosts energy.
- It works well as gastrointestinal ailments, tumors, ascites, piles, enlargement of liver-spleen, worms and colitis.
- Powdered nightshade with jaggery works well in gout.
- Its powder with honey and ghee is being an effective remedy for anemia.
- It is beneficial to relieve you from back pain, sore, muscle pain, gout, also if you suffer from rheumatism then it’s a good choice to consume nightshade as it can cure rheumatism and all the symptoms.
- For high blood pressure, it’s recommended to consume nightshade regularly. It prevents hypertension and high blood pressure.
- It is also the best medicine for mouth ulcers. Including black nightshade in your regular diet can heal the stomach ulcer also.
- Black nightshade helps to improve the functioning of the liver so that it is beneficial to neutralize and release toxins inside your body.
- It has an high fiber content and it acts as a natural laxative agent to prevent constipation.