Botanical name : Parmotrema perlatum
Tamil Name : கல் பாசி / Kal Pasi, Marapasi
English Name : Black Stone Flower
Hindi Name : Pathar ka Phool, Dagad Phool
Malayalam Name : Badal Poove, Celeyam, Kalpuvu
Telugu Name : Rathi Puvulu, Kallupachi
Kannada Name : Kalahu, Kaluhuva
Black stone flower or Kalpasi is used as a spice in India which is a species of lichen. Kalpasi is a rare dried flower that comes in many different colors. Their color is used in identification.
The color-changing is based on the lichen whether it is wet or dry. Dry lichens may be dark grey, brown, or black. It has a sweet aromatic flavor. It serves well both in vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
Kalpasi is one of the important ingredients in East Indian Bottle Masala and mostly used in dishes like Nahari, Bombay biryani, Goan meat stews. It is commonly found in some areas of Tamilnadu and is an important ingredient in Chettinad food.
The Black Stone flower (Kalpasi) or Dagad Phool is a spice that is soft brown and black. It has many active components and anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral properties which reduces pain and inflammation.
- Kalpasi helps to heal the wounds and it is a good pain reliever.
- Used to treat skin problems.
- It helps to reduce inflammation.
- It helps to improve digestion.
- Kalpasi helps to suppress respiratory disorders.
- It has antibacterial properties and also it is effective against protozoans.
- It tones up the urinary tract.
- Used to maintain body temperature.
- It tones up the urinary tract and helps maintain body temperature.
- Kalpasi stimulates the digestive enzymes, which reduces digestive problems like diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, excessive flatulence, and bloating. It also regulates the overall digestive process with ease.
- The dried powder of the Black stone flower (kalpasi) treats coughs and asthma. It is mixed with honey and water.
- Kalpasi has a rich flavor which adds a specific aroma to the food even in soups, it’s also used as a soup thickener.
- It is often used in meat dishes.
- Kalpasi is used all around the world due to its aromatic nature.
- It is an essential ingredient in Goda masala or Kala masala.
There are no side effects in using this product. Seek medical advice for the usage of this product during pregnancy.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested, dried, and pulverized without the chemical interactions that assure the natural herb powders.