|Botanical Name||: Cucumis melo|
|Tamil Name||: கஸ்தூரி விதைகள்/Kasturi vitaikaḷ|
|Hindi Name||: कस्तूरी बीज/kastooree beej|
|Malayalam Name||: മസ്ക്മെലൻ വിത്തുകൾ/maskmelan vittukal|
|Telugu Name||: మస్క్మెలోన్ విత్తనాలు/Maskmelon vittanalu|
|Kannada Name||: ಕಸ್ತೂರಿ ಬೀಜಗಳು/Kasturi bijagalu|
Muskmelon is a summer fruit that belongs to the species of melon. But it has been developed into many cultivated varieties. It is native to Iran and Armenia, with a secondary center including northwest India and Afghanistan. Muskmelon is an annual herb that grows well in warm or temperate climates. It includes smooth-skinned varieties like honeydew, Crenshaw, casaba, and several netted cultivars.
The shape, taste, and culinary use differ from various melon varieties. It has a skinny exterior with a sweet fleshy portion on the interior with a musky aroma. The pulpy muskmelon keeps you hydrated by giving wonderful rest to the heat. It provides a countless number of Vitamin A and keeps your eyesight intact. It includes about 3.6% protein, 4% fat, and 2.5% carbohydrate.
Nutrients Present in Muskmelon
Calcium – 2%
Vitamin C – 32%
Iron – 2%
Magnesium – 1%
Calories – 20
Sodium – 1 mg
Potassium – 68 mg
- Excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
- Fights cardiovascular diseases.
- It also takes care of your teeth.
- Helps increase hair and nails.
- Good for intestines and keeps you away from other stomach problems.
- Muskmelon seeds can increase the flow of oxygen to the brain and keeps you stress-free.
- Strengthens your immune system and helps in the increased production of WBC in the blood.
- Sharpens your eye sight and also prevents developing cataracts.
- The rich potassium content reduces the blood pressure and thereby keeps your heart healthy.
- Melons will grow well in warm, fertilized soil that is rich in nutrients. So first choose well-drained soil and then sow the seeds 1 inch deep into the soil.
- Then water it every day. Because a good moisture content is very important for the growth of plants. Handle it carefully and never let the soil dry. So that you can prevent wilt.
- The seeds take nearly 7-12 days to germinate. So after 2 weeks, plant the seedling with enough spacing (24 inches) to grow.
- Keep the plant healthy by preventing it from cucumber beetles. So you can try out insecticides such as azadirachtin or pyrethrin.
- The plant takes 80 days for the fruit to mature.
- When the fruit ripens, they seperate naturally from the vine with a tug and the skin color becomes yellowish. So that you can easily find out the harvested melons.
- Then wipe and clean the harvested muskmelon and store it in a cool place or in the refrigerator.
Muskmelon does not have any negative effects. It is beneficial even for pregnant womens. Folate present in the seeds of muskmelon reduces water retention problems in pregnant ladies.