Tamil Name – தர்பூசணி விதை/ Tarpucaṇi vitai
Telugu Name – పుచ్చకాయ విత్తనం/ Puccakaya vittanaṁ
Marathi Name – टरबूज बियाणे/ Ṭarabuja biyaṇe
Kannada Name – ಕಲ್ಲಂಗಡಿ ಬೀಜಗಳು/ Kallaṅgaḍi bijagaḷu
Malayalam Name – തണ്ണിമത്തൻ വിത്തുകൾ/ taṇṇimattan vittukaḷ
Hindi Name – तरबूज के बीज/ tarabooj ke beej
Watermelons come from the Cucurbitaceae family and its native to southern Africa. The scientific name of watermelon is Citrullus lanatus. The physical structure of the seeds is tiny and black in color or slightly mottled black/brown in color.
There are between 320-550 seeds available in watermelon. The number of seeds is depending upon the size of the fruit. Watermelon seeds include healthy nutrients such as magnesium, vitamin B, potassium, and zinc. They are also a good source of healthy fats and protein. One cup of roasted watermelon seeds contains roughly 600 calories.
Watermelon Nutrition Facts (Per 100 gm)
- Calories – 557
- Total Fat – 47 gm
- Saturated Fat – 9.8 gm
- Sugar – 0gm
- Protein – 28 gm
- Vitamin D – 0.00 mcg
- Calcium – 54.00 mg
- Iron – 7.28 mg
- Potassium – 648 mg
- Sodium – 99 mg
- Carbohydrate 15 gm
- Dietary Fiber – 0gm
- Swallowing raw watermelon seeds are used for digestion.
- It has an amino acid called citrulline, which relaxes and dilates blood vessels.
- The toxin is inside the seeds and will not be exposed to the body unless the seeds are chewed.
- Roasted watermelon seeds can be useful for the skin. It stops the outbreak of acne, prevents dullness, moisturizes your skin, and blocks early signs of aging.
- By applying seeds oil on the face can block pores and thereby preventing the outbreak of acne.
- Applying watermelon seed oil regularly on hair can give several benefits for your hair, especially it dealing with hair thinning and reduce hair loss. While protein improves hair growth, magnesium stops split ends and breakage.
- Watermelon seeds are linked to better blood sugar control and reduced insulin resistance in the body. It is suitable for the health of diabetes patients.
- Eating dried watermelon seeds regularly can prevent the early deterioration of your bones.
- To store watermelon seeds, they must be completely dry.
- Seeds can be stored for five or more years in a sealed jar or plastic bag.
- After the harvesting process, pull up its vine; it will overgrow within a week.