Other Common Names
|Botanical Name||: Stevia Rebaudiana|
|English Name||: Stevia Leaf|
|Tamil Name||: இனிப்பு துளசி / Inippu Thulasi / Sarkarai Tulasi|
|Hindi Name||: Meethi Tulsi, Meethi Patti, Madhu Patrika|
|Malayalam Name||: തുളസി / Tuḷasi|
|Telugu Name||: స్టెవియా / Madhu Patri|
The Stevia plant has been used by the South American people for more than 1500 years and so its native is South America. It is popularly called sugar leaf, candy leaf, or sweet leaf. The height is this herb is 20-30 inches. The leaves are traditionally used in both brazil and Paraguay to sweeten local teas and medicines as a sweet treat.
The sweet and sugar substance extracted from the leaves is used for various medicinal uses. The active component of these stevia leaves is stevia glycosides, which are 150 times sweeter than sugar. It is heat-stable, pH-stable, and not fermentable. Stevia’s taste has a slower onset and longer duration than that of sugar.
Some of the Health Benefits of Tulsi are mentioned below:
- Stevia leaves do not contribute calories and carbohydrates to the dies.
- It can be used for people with diabetes, it helps to control the sugar level of the blood.
- Certain glycosides in stevia extract have been found to dilate blood vessels.
- Cardiotonic actions of these stevia leaves are normalizing blood pressure and regulate the heartbeat.
- Using these leaves is also helps to control the weight.
- Foods and beverages containing stevia can play an important role in decreasing calories from unwanted sweeteners in the diets of children.
It is a good remedy for people who do not take any medicines. But it is not good for those who take blood-thinning medicines. It can adversely affect your health. Also, eating basil leaves may not be good for pregnant women. So seek medical advice before consuming.