Botanical Name : Acalypha Paniculata
English Name : Indian nettle / Indian Acalypha
Tamil Name : குப்பைமேனி / Kuppaimeni
Hindi Name : खोकली / खोकला / Khokali/ Khokali/ Khokla/ Khokli
Telugu Name : మూర్కొనద / మురుకొండ / కుప్పి చెట్టు / Moorkonda/murkonda/kuppi Chettu
Malayalam Name: കുപ്പമേനി, കുപ്പി,കുപ്പിഖോഖലി / Kuppameni, Kuppi, Kuppikhokhali
Kuppaimeni, also known as Indian nettle that has a strong effect on cats. And so, it is called Poonai mayaki. The plant grows 1 to 2 meters tall and has widely spread rhizomes and stolon. It has fine, thin hair around its leaves and stem. It stings badly and is painful to touch. Due to this reason, it is also called stinging nettle. All the parts of the plant such as roots, seeds, flowers, and leaves are also used for treating many diseases.
Internal Benefits of Indian Acalypha (Kuppaimeni)
- It helps to treat brain-related diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
- It helps combat internal bleeding such as nosebleeds, uterine bleeding, and bowel bleeding.
- Kuppaimeni leaves are helpful in treating osteoarthritis.
- It can cure nerve-related disorders like Neuralgia, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Multiple Sclerosis, and Sciatica.
- It promotes healthy blood circulation and thus keeps you away from cardiovascular disorders. It also purifies the blood.
- Kuppaimeni leaves help in treating enlarged spleen.
- It eases throat infections and other respiratory ailments like TB, Asthma, Bronchitis, and chest congestion.
- Strengthens your immune system.
- Reduces high blood pressure and keeps your heart healthy.
- Indian nettle helps in dissolving Kidney stones when consumed regularly.
- It prevents you from parasites and intestinal worms.
- Indian Acalyplha is an excellent herbal remedy for Labor pains. It nourishes the fetus and increases milk production.
- Fresh leaves of kuppaimeni can relieve joint and muscle pain. It also helps in the treatment of Gout, Arthritis, Rheumatism, and tendon inflammations.
External Benefits of Kuppaimeni (Indian Acalypha)
- Stinging nettle is very effective in treating hair loss, dandruff, and baldness. It promotes hair growth and keeps your hair shiny.
- It is a powerful herbal remedy to heal skin problems like acne, cuts, boils, and eczema. It is also useful in healing burns and wounds.
- It is also used as a mouth wash to get rid of gingivitis, mouth ulcers, and plaque.
How to consume Kuppaimeni Internally
- Fresh nettle leaves can be consumed regularly in the form of tea. Drink 2-3 cups of nettle leaf tea daily, which cleanses your body’s toxins.
How to Apply Kuppaimeni Externally
- Prepare the tincture of nettle leaf and apply it topically on patchy rashes for quick healing.
Kuppaimeni leaf is boasted with anti-fertility properties, so don’t consume it internally, if you’re planning for pregnancy. Also, people with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency should not consume kuppaimeni because it can lead to hemolysis.