Other Common Names
|English Name||: Sweet flags, Calamus|
|Tamil Name||: வசம்பு – Vasambu|
|Malayalam Name||: വയമ്പു – Vayambu|
|Hindi Name||: गोरा बाख – Gora bach|
Dried Calamus Root common names are calamus, sweet flags, Acorus, Vacha, and sweet calamus. Calamus is a Tamil name for dried calamus root which is one of the well-known natural and medicinal herbs commonly used for infants and babies for kinds of problems.
In English, it is called Sweet Flag. It helps mothers to grow their infants and children without illness so it is also known as ‘Pillai Valarpan’ or ‘Pillai Marunthu’ in Tamil Nadu. It is also called Malabar Nut. Calamus root contains many medicinal properties. Due to the health benefits of calamus, it is used to treat all stomach-related problems for kids.
Medicinal Properties Of Calamus
- Calamus aroma makes the brain and nervous system rejuvenate. The root of the plant is an appetite suppressant and is used to treat bronchitis and sinusitis.
- It helps to reduce stomach acidity to some extent. It is widely used to treat arthritis, epilepsy, cancer, dyspepsia, epilepsy, and diarrhea.
- It is a homeopathic remedy taken from the roots of the plant to treat flatulence, dyspepsia, anorexia, and gallbladder disorders.
- Because of its aroma, calamus is used to make essential oils in the fragrance industry, which is highly valued and regarded by people.
- Calamus is used for acid reflux, constipation, indigestion, and stomach problems.
- Calamus is used for babies and Infants in the preparation of kajal | Vasambu Pottu and it makes babies speak earlier.
- Calamus is used for bedbugs and insects.
- Vasambu is used for Cold and Cough.
- Calamus is used for dandruff lice and hair growth.
- Vasambu is used in face care, skincare, and unwanted hair removal.
How to Consume Calamus
- Morning – Take five gms of Calamus powder with 100 ml of water and boil them for some minutes. After the water getting warm, filter them and drink it before food. Repeat this same for Evening after dinner.
- Mix the Calamus paste with honey and give that to the baby. It is an effective remedy for loose motions.
- The Calamus root beads are tied like a bangle that is used for babies. It cures indigestion and vomiting problems when the babies smell the roots. Moreover, the smell of the Calamus helps the babies to speak earlier and cures speechless problems.
- Mix the Calamus powder with turmeric powder and apply them to your face that cures pimple problems.
- Applying Calamus paste will treat dandruff in Ayurvedic.
- Burn the Calamus until it turns black in color, then swipe it in water, and make a paste-like consistency of kajal. Apply this as bindi on cheeks, foreheads, and feet. By apply this paste to the baby’s navel, relieves stomach problems.
There are no side effects in using this product, and you can consider the medical advice for the usage of this product during pregnancy.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested and dried without the chemical interactions that assure natural herb products.
Soumen Das –
Gives good and calm sleep to my baby. Even though I am a non-believer of ancient day medicinal practices, I see an effective result in using this product which gives a good baby’s sleep pattern and health.
Thanks to Moolihai… It really works and helps me… but the package quality is a bit worst…
Works well! It stops vomiting for babies and also aids to get good enough sleep.