Scared Basil is a common plant in Indian households. The holy basil is also known as the “Queen of Herbs“. This herbal plant is used for more than 5000 years in India for its healing properties. Basil Leaves are used to protect the mind, body, and spirit. It is the most popular herbal plant in South Asian Countries, and now it is gaining popularity in Western Countries. In India, Basil is most commonly known as Tulsi or Tulasi. Many kinds of research stated that the basil leaves and roots of the plant possess various medical properties.
Vernacular Names of Basil
|Botanical Name||: Ocimum Tenuiflorum|
|English Name||: Sacred Basil Leaves|
|Tamil Name||: Thulasi Ilai / துளசி|
|Malayalam Name||: Tuḷasi / തുളസി|
|Telugu Name||: Tulasi / తులసి|
|Hindi Name||: Tulsi / तुलसी|
Benefits of Basil Leaves
Here we have mentioned the Health Benefits of Basil Leaves
1] Treats Cholesterol
Basil leaves help with high cholesterol and hypertension. The basil leaves help to burn the fat molecules from the blood, this lowers to risk of heart problems. Basil leaves lower the stress-induced cholesterol level, which will reduce the total cholesterol level in the liver, kidney, and heart.
2] Protects Your Stomach
Basil reduces the risk of ulcers. It will naturally decrease stomach acid so that it will avoid ulcer problems. It increasing the mucus secretion that soothes your stomach and relies on indigestion issues. The basil leaves are also increasing the mucus cells and extend the life of the mucus cells. This is good medicine for flatulence, stomach aches, and constipation.
3] Induce Immunity Power
If you have low immunity power then you have the chance to affect flu, cold, and other infections. Due to the cold, most people have the chance to catch the fever. Basil leaves are a good remedy for these health issues, it also helps to strengthen the immunity system.
4] Maintains the Blood Sugar Level
If you have prediabetes or type two diabetes, that all part of the basil plant helps to reduce the blood sugar level. By using the basil leaves, you can prevent the symptoms of diabetes, such as hyperinsulinemia, insulin resistance, weight gain, high cholesterol, and hypertension.
5] Reduces Inflammation
If you have pain in the stiff knees, joints after the workout, it is the symptoms of the inflammation. Generally, basil leaves help to reduce inflammation, these leaves have a eucalyptol compound which is more popular for relieving inflammation. It stimulates the production of fluids in the joints, boost blood circulation.
Other Prominent Benefits of Basil Leaves
- Sacred Basil has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, antibiotic, and anti-carcinogenic properties.
- Basil Leaves are also used to treat respiratory ailments such as asthma Cetera, chronic bronchitis.
- Leaves from this herbal plant help to get relief from headache, fever, cold, sore throat, cough, flu, and chest congestion.
- This herb also helps to relieve stress, and it is loaded with phytonutrients, essential oils, vitamins A, and C.
- It can ward off the harmful effects of free radicals.
- Regular tulsi consumption can also aid in balancing various bodily processes.
- It is also beneficial in treating conditions like hepatitis, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue, and swine flu.
- It is good for dental health and also for healthy gums.
- It is also used to treat skin problems, itches, and ringworms.
- It is an effective insect repellent and also it is used to treat insect bites.
How To Consume Dried Basil Leave
Take five gms of dried basil leaves, make it as powder form, then add it with 100ml of water, and boil them for some minutes. After the water getting warm, filter them, and drink before taking breakfast. Repeat this same for the Evening after dinner.
It is a good remedy for people who do not take any medicines. But it is not good for those who take blood-thinning medicines. It can adversely affect your health. Also, eating basil leaves may not be good for pregnant women. So seek medical advice before consuming.