Other Common Names
|Botanical Name||: Acorus calamus|
|English Name||: Sweet flag, Calamus Powder|
|Tamil Name||: வசம்பு / Vasambu|
|Malayalam Name||: వాము / Vashanapa, vayambhu, vayambu, vayampu|
|Hindi Name||: कैलमेस / vacha,akaraveci, akkitam, arpakeci, arpakecu|
|Sanskrit Name||: Vacha, Vach, Bhutanashini|
|Telugu Name||: వాము /vadaja, vasa, wasa|
|Kannada Name||: Baje Gida, Athibaje|
Calamus is a perennial herb that grows up to 30 cm tall. The leaves of the plant are grown from the spreading rhizome. The leaves are yellowish-green in color, and they are erect and radical. It has pink sheathing in its base, and it has parallel veins. The leaves contain smooth edges. Calamus is a Tamil name for dried calamus root which is one of the well-known natural and medicinal herb commonly used for infants and babies for kinds of problems.
Bracelets made with the pieces of Calamus tied in the baby’s hands, so the babies don’t have any stomach problems when they suck or bite these pieces. In English, it is called Sweet Flag. It helps mothers to grow their infants and children without illness so it is also known as ‘Pillai Valarpan’ or ‘Pillai Marunthu’ in Tamil Nadu. It is also called Malabar Nut. Calamus root contains many medicinal properties.
- Calamus used for acid reflux, constipation, indigestion, and stomach problems.
- Calamus used for babies and Infants.
- Calamus helps in Cold and Cough.
- Calamus used for making the babies speak earlier.
- Calamus is one of the most valuable herbs in Ayurveda because its stimulating aroma makes the brain and nervous system rejuvenate. It also works against digestive disorders.
- The root of the plant is an appetite suppressant and is used to treat bronchitis and sinusitis. It helps to reduce stomach acidity to some extent.
- It is widely used to treat arthritis, epilepsy, cancer, dyspepsia, epilepsy, and diarrhea.
- Tobacco addicts can be easily recovered by chewing the root of the calamus. This will kill the flavor of the tobacco over time.
- Its root is used to make a type of tea so that when drinking warm Calamus tea, it will soothe the throat.
- Calamus is a homeopathic remedy taken from the roots of the plant to treat flatulence, dyspepsia, anorexia, and gallbladder disorders.
- It acts as nausea, stomach, anthelmintic, stimulants, emetic, expectorant, carminative, antispasmodic, and neurotoxicant.
- Because of its aroma, calamus is used to make essential oils in the fragrance industry, which is highly valued and regarded by people.
- It is believed by some that certain ailments can be cured by the aroma transmitted when boiling the root of the calamus.
- Vasambu used for making kajal | Vasambu Pottu.
- Calamus used for bedbugs and insects.
- Calamus used for dandruff lice and hair growth.
- Calamus used for the face and skin.
- Vasambu used for hair removal.
- This herb is used externally for skin eruptions, rheumatism, and neurological diseases.
How to Consume Calamus
- Morning – Take five gms of Calamus powder with 100 ml of water and boil them for some minutes. After the water getting warm, filter them and drink them before food. Repeat this same for the Evening after dinner.
- Mix the vasambu paste with honey and give that to the baby. It is an effective remedy for loose motions.
- Mix the vasambu powder with turmeric powder and apply them to your face that cures pimple problems.
- Make a Calamus hair pack that is used in the treatment of dandruff in Ayurvedic.
There are no side effects in using this product, and you can consider the medical advice for the usage of this product during pregnancy.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested, dried, and pulverized without the chemical interactions that assure the natural herb powders.