Flakiness and itchy scalp is the first sign of dandruff, it also causes some other symptoms like tingling skin and greasy patches on the skin. There are reasons for dandruff, like seborrheic dermatitis, dry skin, the sensitivity of hair products, and the growth of some types of fungus that live in the scalp.
Usually, in the winter season, dandruff is one of the unavoidable problems, but for some people, dandruff is a serious problem for all of the year. Are you the one who is dealing with dandruff all year? Then you no longer need to struggle with it anymore. Ayurveda has some home remedy to get rid of dandruff with no exception.
Ayurveda is an integrated healing system that has originated from Indian subcontinents before 3000 years. It has a lot of successful home remedies to treat dandruff.
What is Dandruff?
Before going to the remedy of dandruff, you have to know what dandruff actually is. Understanding dandruff will help to deal with it. Dandruff is also known as seborrhea or dermatitis, which is a common skin problem to the skin. Most people experience this problem at some point in their life because of their age, ethnicity, or gender. Dandruff is caused on the skin of the scalp flakes and dead skin after itchiness.
It not only affects the scalp, but also it affects the ear, eyebrows, beard in men, and hair in the chest for both women and men. Most people do not know this, dandruff also affects infant babies. Dandruff on the baby’s scalp is known as cradle cap. Usually, dandruff is formed on the dry and flaky skin on the scalp. Sometimes the skin in the dandruff area becomes red or pink, which is a sign of inflammation.
Dandruff also simply shows up as white flakes without any irritation or scratching. In advanced cases, the symptoms of dandruff are itching and burning with flaky, white skin. Some types of weather also make dandruff worse. Humidity worsens dandruff for some people, and for some other people, the dry winter season triggers the presence of dandruff.
What Causes Dandruff?
Dandruff is commonly caused by the increase of oil production and secretion, hair product sensitivity and dry skin. The growth of fungus called Malassezia on the scalp is also one of the reasons for dandruff. It will damage the scalp and cause serious skin dryness. Another type of dandruff is caused by the stickiness and oiliness on the hair. Here we’ve provided some major reasons for dandruff.
- Not using shampoo frequently
- irregular hair wash and brushing
- Parkinson’s disease
- Stress and mental illness
These are some main reasons for dandruff. Knowing this you can easily recognize the way to get rid of dandruff without any chemical treatment and just by following some easy home remedies.
The most common symptom of dandruff is an excessive amount of white flakes present in the scalp skin and it causes itchiness. Once you take any remedy for dandruff at this stage, you can quickly get rid of it.
Some Traditional Remedies For Dandruff
- There are some herbs, and traditional home remedies that are effectively used to treat dandruff. In Southern India, people use these herb poduthalai to treat dandruff. This gives really good results within a few days.
- The fenugreek hair mask is one of the best home remedies used by many people to treat dandruff. But it is not suitable for some people, because of its cooling property.
- Neem water is another home remedy to treat dandruff. Any form of neem will give good results in treating dandruff. Most people use neem resin as a herbal remedy.
- Lemon is another traditional and easy home remedy to treat dandruff that has been used for long. It gives good results in treating dandruff. Apart from that, it is also used to treat many scalp infections like itchiness.
HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF DANDRUFF PERMANENTLY
There are a lot of home remedies that people use on their daily basis to get rid of dandruff permanently. Anyhow, if you want to try all of those home remedies, you have to know certain ingredients that are necessary for the treatment. Once it is made, you can apply it on the scalp to treat dandruff. Here we’ve listed some of the home remedies to get rid of dandruff.
1] Apply Mehndi
Applying mehndi on the scalp effectively helps to get rid of dandruff. Mehandi is also used for softening your hair. You have to prepare the Mehandi mix in the right manner with the proper ingredients to get a good result. Applying this mix on your scalp for one week will show greater difference. It is one of the simplest ways to get rid of dandruff.
Preparation of Mehandi
- Mix the Mehandi powder with a small amount of lemon juice and curd.
- Once you set that paste in the correct form, and let it remain for upto 8 hours.
- You can apply that mixture to your hair after 8 hours.
- Allow it to dry on your hair for 2 hours, and then wash it.
2] Apple Cider Vinegar
You have to be very careful when using apple cider vinegar as a home remedy for dandruff. The effect of home remedy is based on the ingredients that you mix. Once you mix all the ingredients correctly, you can apply it to your scalp to get rid of dandruff permanently.
ACV is one of the best home remedies to treat severe dandruff. You can apply ACV paste after your shower. Also, you have to make sure that you do not apply this paste every day on your hair. Applying every two days is the best way to use it. Anyhow, you have to know the way of preparation of the paste.
Preparation of ACV Paste
- Mix the apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water and keep it aside.
- Apply that mixture after washing your hair
- Gently massage your wet hair with that mix.
- Allow your hair to dry for 15 minutes, and then rinse your hair.
3] Fenugreek Seeds
Traditionally people use fenugreek to treat dandruff. It is also called as methi seeds. Not only for dandruff, fenugreek also has a lot of health benefits, it helps people with low blood sugar and also increases the milk production in lactating mothers. It also helps to control your appetite and regulate the cholesterol levels. Here we’ve provided some simple tips to get rid of dandruff using fenugreek seeds.
Preparation of Fenugreek Seeds
- Put some fenugreek seeds in water and allow it to soak overnight.
- Mash that soaked seeds the next morning and make it like a paste.
- Add a little amount of lemon juice and mix it well.
- Apply that paste to the scalp and allow it to dry for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, wash your hair using shampoo and let your hair to dry.
4] Coconut Oil with Lemon
Coconut oil always nourishes your hair. When mixing coconut oil with a small amount of lemon juice will help to cure dandruff. It is also one of the easiest home remedies to get rid of small flakes. By simply following these tips get rid of dandruff very easily and quickly.
Preparation of Coconut Oil with Lemon
- Heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil and mix it with an equal amount of lemon juice.
- Once you’ve mixed it properly, apply that mixture on the scalp and gently massage your hair.
- After massaging your hair, allow it for 20 minutes to settle, and then rinse your hair with shampoo.
Using curd to treat dandruff is really a tough task, especially if you are using messy curd. Applying curd on the hair will effectively treat dandruff.
Preparation of Curd for Dandruff
- Apply a little amount of curd on your hair and scalp
- Allow it to dry for an hour.
- Rinse your hair after an hour with shampoo.
6] Green Tea
Green tea is a good source of antifungal property, and also has antioxidant properties, which helps to maintain a healthy scalp. If you like to cure dandruff using green tea, then simply apply cool green tea on your scalp, and then see the difference. Here, there are some simple steps to use green tea to get rid of dandruff.
Preparation of Green Tea
- Put 2 green tea bags in hot water.
- Allow it to boil for 20 minutes till the decoction dissolves in it.
- Allow the decoction to cool.
- You can apply the green tea decoction on your hair once it cools and allow it to settle for 30 minutes.
- Gently rinse your hair after 30 minutes with water.
7] Neem Juice
Neem is an excellent traditional treatment for dandruff, and it is one of the main ingredients in most anti-dandruff shampoos. Using neem juice to treat dandruff is also very easy. Here, there are simple steps to prepare neem juice before applying it to your hair to get rid of dandruff.
Preparation of Neem Juice
- Crush some neem leaves and make it a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your hair and scalp and allow it to dry for 10 to 20 minutes.
- After that, wash your hair with cold water.
8] Egg Yolk For Dandruff
Egg yolk contains a good amount of biotin, which is a major vitamin to treat dandruff. Egg yolk acts as a conditioner that makes your hair healthy. You can follow egg yolk treatment for dandruff while taking bath. Also, you have to make sure that this treatment should follow only thrice a week.
When preparing the egg yolk, you have to remove the white layer from the egg. The egg yolk has more benefits than the white, which is the surrounding layer of the yolk. Here, we’ve provided some simple steps to use egg yolk for dandruff.
Preparation of Egg Yolk
- Before applying egg yolk on your hair, you have to make sure that your hair and scalp are dry.
- Apply the yolk on the scalp and hair, and then secure your hair using a plastic bag for one hour.
- Gently wash your hair using shampoo. You may feel a bad odor for some time, as egg yolk has an odor. In that case, you have to use shampoo two times.
9] Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are one of the traditional and natural remedies to treat dandruff. Because basil leaves have a good amount of antibacterial and antifungal properties, which helps to cure severe dandruff. The basil leaves also help to make strong and healthy hair.
Applying basil leaves powder on the hair on a daily basis will show good results. The basil leaves also help to reduce hair fall. You can follow this process to cure dandruff and other hair-related problems.
Preparation of Basil Leaves
- Take 2 tsp of amla powder, some basil leaves and water.
- Mix all these ingredients and make it a clean paste.
- Gently apply that paste on the scalp and let it settle for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair after 30 minutes with cool water.
10] Orange Peel
Orange peel is one of the best home remedies for dandruff. This works very well with dandruff. But you have to know how to prepare the orange peel powder and the way to apply to your hair. Orange peel has a good amount of magnesium, calcium, vitamin A, and dietary fiber that has more health benefits to your body.
Anyhow, when coming to the treatment of dandruff, applying orange peel to the scalp and hair will effectively reduce dandruff. Applying orange peel thrice a week will help to treat dandruff at home. Here are some tips that you need to follow when using orange peel for dandruff.
Preparation of Orange Peel
- Take an orange peel and a little amount of lemon juice.
- Grind these ingredients until it turns into a nice paste.
- Apply the paste on the scalp and allow it to dry for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with anti-dandruff shampoo.
Dandruff is one of the reasons for frustration. There are many natural remedies available to reduce the symptoms of dandruff and provide good relief. Next time when you spot flakes on your scalp, just try some natural remedy to get rid of it.
We hope you will take some advice that creates some magic to your hair. The remedies that we mentioned in this article have shown better results in many people. If you have severe dandruff, you can try any of these natural remedies to eliminate dandruff permanently. But, we strongly recommend you to consult your dermatologist before using it.