Onion powder is a homemade food product made by dehydrating and grinding onions. As it is completely dehydrated, it has a longer shelf life.
It is used as a common ingredient in spice mixes and seasoned salt. It is used as a topping in dishes like soups, pizza, burgers, pasta, and grilled chicken.
Onions are one of the healthiest vegetables used in foods. They are rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytochemicals that help in regulating your body’s functions.
Common Names of Onion
|English Name||: Onion|
|Tamil Name||: வெங்காயம்|
|Hindi Name||: प्याज|
|Malayalam Name||: ഉള്ളി|
|Telugu Name||: ఉల్లిపాయ|
Health Benefits of Onion Powder
- Onion has a high amount of chromium and potassium that helps in regulating blood pressure and blood sugar level.
- When consumed regularly, it can treat inflammation, mouth sores, headaches, and heal infections too.
- Boosts your immune system and prevents bacterial and fungal diseases.
- Onion powder is rich in antibiotics and anti-asthmatic properties that help in treating the common cold, bronchitis, asthma, and flu.
- It can also decrease chest and nasal congestion.
- The active ingredients of this powder have cancer-fighting properties and thus helps in treating different types of cancer including colorectal cancer.
- Onion powder is a powerhouse of antioxidants that reduces the risk of heart disorders and promotes its function.
- Regular intake of onion powder improves bone density and reduces osteoporosis.
- The bio-active constituents present in it prevent scalp infections, dandruff, and enhances hair growth.
- It is an excellent remedy for constipation, ulcer, and gastritis.
Consuming onion is completely safe while taking it by mouth, so it is commonly found in foods. Onion extract is possibly safe for people as a medicine. Taking 900 mg of onion extract per day for 12 weeks is safe. But overdosage of onion may cause stomach pain or distress. When applying onion extract on the skin, may cause skin irritation or eczema.