Tamil name : உலர்ந்த கருப்பு திராட்சை / Ularnta karuppu tiratcai
Malayalam name : ഉണങ്ങിയ കറുത്ത മുന്തിരി / unanniya karutta muntiri
Marathi name : वाळलेल्या काळा द्राक्षे / Vāḷalēlyā kāḷā drākṣē
Telugu name : ఎండిన నల్ల ద్రాక్ష / Endina nalla draksa
A dried black grape is also known as Raisin. Raisins are rich in antioxidants. Compared to fresh grapes, it has less content of Vitamin C. Moreover, it doesn’t have cholesterol. The physical appearance of the Raisin is much darker and has a tart, tangy flavor. Depending on the sugar level, its taste may vary. These sugar grains can be dissolved by balancing the fruit in hot water.
Raisin is prepared from black grapes, and that is produced in many countries, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia. The word Raisin is named for dried grape, Sultana for a golden dried grape, and the Currant is called for a dried small Black Corinth grape. It can be eaten raw or can be used in cooking, baking, and brewing.
Dried black dates are sweet because it has a high concentration of sugars, and the raisins provide 30% fructose and 28% glucose. However, the sugar in dried black dates sugar gets crystallized inside the fruit and can be stored after a long period.
The dried black grape is produced in three methods, that is pre-treatment, drying, and post-drying process. It is a highly nutritious snack that is rich in dietary fiber, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, and other micro-nutrients. It helps to reduce your weight.
Nutritional Value of Dried Black Grapes
- Sugar – 72%
- Protein – 3%
- Dietary fiber – 3.7%–6.8%
Process of making Dry Black Grapes
Dried black grapes are made by the process of drying fresh grapes. The water inside the grape has to be removed entirely from the interior of the cell onto the surface of the grape. It’s quite difficult to remove water from grapes as it contains the wax in its cuticle.
Benefits of Dried Black Grapes
- Dry grapes are used in cooking and desserts throughout the world.
- It is also added to health tonics, snacks, and food.
- Dry grapes contain insoluble fiber that reduces constipation, and also helps to reduce diarrhea.
- Dry black grapes help to move the food in the intestinal tract and provide recovery from constipation.
- Dried black grape is the best snack for gaining weight as it contains fructose and glucose.
- It contains vitamins, amino acids, minerals, selenium, phosphorus, nutrients, and proteins that help to improve immunity.
- Dry grapes are rich in catechins. This helps to get rid of free radicals to improve the organ systems and the cells.
- It boosts up energy and helps in weight gain without the accumulation of unhealthy fats.
Dried Black grape is very healthy and will not produce any side effects. It can be used by all age groups of people and is safe even for pregnant women.
Harvesting & Manufacturing methods
Raisins are prepared by drying and harvesting grape berries to remove the water from the grapes. The water from the interior of the cell to the surface gets evaporated. The process of dried grape is a difficult one because the grapes have wax, that stops the water from evaporating. Also, the chemical and physical mechanism on the outer layer of the grapes is adapted to stop water loss.