Marking Nut Tree, also known as Semecarpus anacardium is a type of deciduous tree that originally grows in the outer Himalayas. The tree was called the “marking nut” because it was used by people in the past to mark their clothes before washing.
Its fruit is a 1-inch oblong drupe that is black and smooth, that is seated on a fleshy cup. The fruit’s juice can be used as a dye. The fruit is likened to a cashew because it consists of two components: the upper portion which is sweet and edible when ripe, and the lower part is a smooth, black nut.
The Marking Nut Tree also produces flowers which are greenish in color with oblong petals. The flowering season happens from May to September.
Vernacular Names of Marking Nut
- Botanical Name : Semecarpus Anacardium
- Tamil Name : ஏகநாயகம் / Ekanayakam
- English Name : Indian Marking Nut
- Gujarati Name : Bhilamu, bhilamo
- Hindi Name : Bhela, Bhelwa, Bhilawa, Bhilwa
11 Medicinal and Health Benefits of Marking Nut
The most important part of the Marking Nut tree is its nuts. Research shows that the Marking Nut is rich in biflavonoids, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. The Marking Nut is claimed to be effective in different diseases including arthritis, cancer, various infections, and many more.
Here are some of the many health benefits of the Marking Nut
1. Has Aphrodisiac Properties
Marking Nut plant is shown to have the properties similar to an aphrodisiac or a substance that increases libido and sexual drive. It is commonly used by men as a tonic to improve their fertility because it is proven to increase sperm count.
Also Read: Best Herbs to Boost Libido
It is also used as a treatment to help aid seminal leakage or premature ejaculation. Not only it is useful for men, it also helps women with uterine inflammation and even for painful menstruation.
2. Effectively Treats Leucoderma
Leucoderma is a very rare disease that characterizes visible white spots and patches in the skin, its literal term is white skin. This condition makes certain parts of the body to lose its natural color and develop white patches. Leucoderma happens when the human body lacks melanin, a pigment that brings color to the skin.
Unlike other diseases Leucoderma is not usually painful, nor contagious and dangerous. But there are some cases when the patches on the skin become red in color and cause excessive itching. Marking Nut is considered to be the best remedy or treatment for such instances.
It has an effective way to relieve the itch caused by red spots. Medical professionals have recommended taking only one teaspoon twice a day, to cure the itch.
3. Beneficial for Diabetic Patients
Being one of the most common illnesses among older people all over the world, diabetes is a disease in which your blood sugar level is way too high. A human body needs glucose and insulin to function. Glucose comes from the food you eat, while insulin helps the glucose reach your cells.
Having diabetes means your body is not capable of producing insulin and doing its job. Marking Nut is discovered to lower blood glucose levels in the body, which makes it helpful in maintaining the sugar level.
Also Read: Herbs for Diabetes
4. Controls Cancer Cell Growth
Cancer is one of the most deadly diseases. Studies show that Marking Nut can make significant changes to the health of a patient by taking on the human breast cancer cells, which makes it a potential chemotherapy agent.
Another study showed that Marking Nut has helped remove leukemic cells from the internal organs and even in the bone marrow of leukemic animals. Although a lot of the said studies have shown so much potential in the field of medicine, further studies will still be conducted to be certain about the limitations of the plant.
Also Read: Herbs to Treat Cancer
5. Helps in Digestive Health
In the many uses and benefits of the Marking Nut, being a liver stimulant is one of them. The plant is known to help aid several health issues focusing on the digestive system. It can be a purgative, digestant, and treat some gastrointestinal disorders.
It can also be used for appetite loss and other disorders that focus on the digestive system such as constipation, diarrhea, abdominal distension, and many other similar disorders. Marking Nut can be used to help improve blood circulation and reduce pressure and the accumulation of blood in the rectal area.
Also Read: Herbs for Digestive system
6. Alleviates Urinary Incontinence
Urinary Incontinence is the involuntary release or leakage of urine in the human body. Losing control of a person’s own bladder and pelvic floor can be caused by stress factors such as coughing, pregnancy, obesity, and old age.
Marking Nut is not only effective for the digestive system, but also in this condition. Consuming this Marking Nut along with some milk is proven to cure urinary incontinence.
7. Treats Atherosclerosis
This disease refers to the buildup of fats in the artery walls, which may result in restricted flow of blood. When this happens, there is a possibility for the plaque to burst and cause a blood clot that will affect a lot of arteries around your body.
It is commonly caused by imbalance of antioxidants and pro-oxidants. Marking Nut is rich with potent antioxidants that helps keep the balance and therefore prevents the fat buildup in the artery walls. It prevents the accumulation of cholesterol by limiting its absorption in the intestine.
8. Prevents Graying of Hair
Marking Nut is most commonly recommended for major health issues, but it can also be helpful in minor issues like the graying of hair. Consuming Marking Nut will prevent the growth of early grey hair.
If you want to stay young looking for a long time, consume one teaspoonful along with milk twice a day.
Additional Benefits of Marking Nut
Aside from the above-mentioned important uses of Marking Nut, there are still a lot of other basic uses and benefits you can try.
9. For Cough and Colds
You can use it to aid cough and colds and to help aid with other minor illnesses. Marking Nuts are often crushed and added to beverages or syrups so that it can be consumed by children. Just use at least three droplets of the crushed fruit and consuming it with milk will be very useful.
Also Read: Herbs for Cold
10. For Skin Diseases
Marking Nuts can also be used to provide relief from skin irritation and diseases. You can create an ointment using the Marking Nut mixed with resin and cook with sesame oil and use as a treatment for rashes, cracks, and random itches.
11. For Joint Pain and Inflammation
The Marking Nut can also be used for joint pain. Just mix the crushed Marking Nut to a bit of garlic, and apply it to the affected area in order to get relief from rheumatism, body aches, joint pain, and many more.
Traditional uses of Marking Nut
- It regulates bowel movements, helps in digestion, controls phlegm and respiratory function.
- Marking Nut reduces hemorrhoids, bloating, and fevers.
- Applying Marking Nut fruit crushed with lime heals sores.
- Mix two to three drops of the oily released by heating fruit treat coughing and phlegm.
- Fruit can be crushed and applied to joints to cure inflammation.
- Marking Nut fruit mixed with resin obtained from the tree and further, it is cooked with sesame oil to treat rashes, itches, and cracks and soles of the feet.
- A mixture of ground fruit and sesame oil is a good remedy for ringworm.
- Marking Nut tree resin is used for leprosy, nervous debility, and skin-related diseases.
- Ripen fruits has aphrodisiac, digestive and stimulant properties.
- Black juice obtained from the fruits is used to remove rheumatic pains and aches.
- Seed paste with honey is used in gastric troubles treatments.
- Marking Nut seeds juice is applied externally to treat ringworm and chapped feet.
- Marking Nut latex is applied in the treatment of headaches and skin diseases.
- Marking Nuts are used for improving sexual power, increasing sperm count and good for the female reproductive system.
- It is beneficial in treating piles, colitis, diarrhea, dyspepsia, tumors, and worms.
Precautions To Be Taken While Using Marking Nut
Same with a lot of medicinal plants, there may be some side effects when taking Marking Nut. Here are some of the things you need be careful about when using the plant:
- The shell that covers the seed can be highly irritable.
- The plant is somewhat poisonous to the skin and might give the holder a slight rash and skin irritation.
- The seeds provides a heating sensation to the body . You must be mindful in consuming the plant during the hot weather.
- Excessive use of the fruit may result to abortion.
- Must not be taken by children or pregnant women.
The Marking Nut Tree provides a wide variety of remedies and solutions to a lot of major health issues there is. It is really useful and easy to use to prevent and control diseases such as cancer, diabetes, high cholesterol, skin diseases, and many more. You can use it in your daily life and maximize the possibility of the plant.
But, there are some precautionary measures you must keep in mind. Don’t forget that everything that is used excessively can bring you harm.
Make sure that you know the exact dosage you need for your illness and always remember that too much use of anything can be very dangerous and deadly.
Consult your doctor before consuming or using the plant for your personal benefit.