Terminalia arjuna is a tree from genus Terminalia. It is usually known as arjuna or arjun tree in English, thella maddi in Telugu, kumbuk in Sinhala, marudha maram in Tamil and neer maruthu in Malayalam.
Coscinium fenestratum is a sturdy wood climber which has shiny leaves and a brightly yellow sap. It is dioecious, flowering and fruiting in August to October. The fruits consist of one or two drupes up to 2 cm across. The plant has a generation span of 25 years.
Arjuna Terminalia Bark is Called:
English Name – Arjun Tree, Arjunolic Myrobalan
Hindi & Bengali Name – Arjun – अर्जुन
Manipuri name – Maiyokpha – মাঈযোকফা
Telugu Name – Tella Maddi
Marathi – Sadaru
Gujarati Name – Sadado
Tamil Name -Poomarudhu, Neermarudhu / Belma/Marudam patti / Marutu – மருது
Malayalam name -Adamboe, Chola venmaruthu, Poomaruthu, Manimaruthu, Neermaruthu
Kannada Name – Neer matti, Holemaththi, Holedaasaala
1. Arjuna bark powder is abundant in saponnins, natural anti-oxidants gallic acid, ellagic acid, oligomeric proanthocyanidins, phytosterols, and minerals including calcium, magnesium, zinc, and copper.
2. Arjuna promotes the pumping action of the heart.
3. Arjuna improves cardiac muscle strength
4. It decreases LDL cholesterol levels. Arjuna has cholesterol-regulating properties so it can able to suppress the blood’s absorption of lipids. Its principal constituents are §-sitosterol, ellagic acid, and arjunic acid.
5. Arjuna bark is abundant in Co-enzyme Q-10 which prevents heart attacks. Due to the different health benefits of arjuna bark, it is considered one of the best herbs in the Ayurveda system.