Botanical Name: Sphaeranthus indicus
English Name: Indian sphaeranthus
Tamil Name: கொட்டைக்கரந்தை – Kottai karantai
Malayalam Name: അടയ്ക്കമണിയന് – adaykamanian, മിരംഗനീ – mirangani
Telugu Name: బోడతరము / శ్రావణి – sravani / boda-taramu
Hindi Name: मुण्डी – mundi
Kannada Name: Mirnagnee, Atookamanni, Mirangnee
Marathi Name: Mundi, Baras Bondi
Oriya Name: Buikadam
Punjabi Name: Gorakhmundi
Bengali Name: Surmuriya, Chhagal Nadi, Mudmudiya
Gujarati Name: Gorakhmundi
Assam Name: Kamadarus
Sanskrit Name: Mundi, Śrāvani Kadamba, Puṣpikā, Alambusta
Kottai Karantai is the plant that grows in the 2 ft height. It is widely found in the paddy field. It is grown in the moist soil all over India. The leaves of this plant having hair growth.
The flower bunch resembles that of Neolamarckia cadamba and the blooms in the winter season. The herbal plant is used in the Ayurvedic treatment in ancient India. It is growing in the tropical part of India. It is widely distributed throughout Africa, Australia, India, Sri Lanka from sea level to 1200 m altitude.
Ayurvedic Properties of Kottai Karantai:
Action: Demulcent, Restorative, Anthelmintic, Tonic
Kottai Karantai Medicinal Properties:
Kottai Karantai Health Benefits:
- It helps to cure headaches including cases of migraines.
- It is used to treat chronic cough and asthma.
- It is used for indigestion, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- It is also used to treat piles, intestinal worms.
- It helps to treat enlargement of the liver.
- It is used to treat swelling.
- Its treats general debility and epilepsy
- This is also used for skin diseases.
- It is also used for Elephantiasis.