|Botanical Name||: Benincasa hispida|
|Tamil Name||: சாம்பல் பூசணிக்காய் விதைகள் / Cāmpal pūcaṇikkāy vitaikaḷ|
|Hindi Name||: राख लौकी / raakh laukee|
|Malayalam Name||: ആഷ് പൊറോട്ട / āṣ peāṟēāṭṭa|
|Telugu Name||: బూడిద పొట్లకాయ / Būḍida poṭlakāya|
Ash gourd seeds are derived from a vegetable commonly found in South East Asia. Ash gourd resembles the size of a pumpkin and looks grey or ash in color. It is also called a white gourd, fuzzy melon, or winter melon. The fruit is very popular in Indian and Asian cuisines, especially in making sweets called petha.
Ash gourd is a good source of minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, iron, riboflavin, niacin, thymine, and Vitamin C. It also contains high water content which is a perfect solution for weight loss. It is highly nutritious and has amazing healing properties. Including the fruits and seeds, ash gourd benefits in fighting various ailments.
Benefits of Ash Gourd Fruit
- Ash gourd juice or stew is the best for weight loss as it contains 96% water and the rest with other nutrients. It helps to maintain a healthy weight by boosting metabolism. Also, the juice is very good for those with diabetes and dysuria.
- Ash gourd is a natural anticoagulant and thereby helps control bleeding. Regular consumption of this juice will stop nosebleeds, which occur commonly in summer.
- Ash gourd acts as a natural sedative and helps in mental illnesses. It has a calming effect on the nerves and brains. So, it is used to relieve conditions associated with the nervous system such as epilepsy, anxiety, insomnia, neurosis, and paranoia. A glass of ash gourd juice a day can reduce your daily stress.
- The leaves of Ash gourd are very helpful for your skin. It moisturizes your skin and combats skin infections. The extract of the leaf has the ability to cure boils, pus, abscesses, allergic infections, fungal infections, and other harmful environmental pollutants.
- Ash gourd also helps in treating anorexia and bleeding disorders.
Benefits of Ash Gourd Seeds
Similar to vegetables the seeds are also highly nutritive and beneficial.
- Both the seeds and the vegetable helps in treating dysuria.
- Useful in breaking down renal calculi.
- The laxative nature of the seed regulates bowel movement and prevents constipation, stomach cramping, and other digestive disorders.
- The fruit also behaves as an aphrodisiac that improves sexual activity.
- Ash gourd nourishes and helps in treating emaciation.
- It also strengthens your immune system to fight against diseases.
- This vegetable is also capable of curing peptic ulcers.
How to Grow:
Caring is vital when growing plants. Follow these steps carefully to obtain a healthy fruit.
- Sow the seeds at least 0.5 cm deep in the soil. If you want to grow it on your terrace, then make sure whether the plant gets at least 4-5 hours of sunlight.
- Give enough spacing between the seeds and water them.
- It will take nearly 6-8 days to germinate.
- Shower the plants every day and keep the soil moist at all times.
- Monitor the plants daily for any symptoms of insect or fungal infections.
- It takes nearly 3 months to harvest.
- Once the fruit matures completely, cut it off with a knife from the veins.
Note: Don’t let the plant dry or overwater them.
Ash Gourd seed is very healthy and will not produce any side effects. It can be eaten by all age groups of people. But seek medical advice on whether it is safe for pregnant women.