Binomial Name : Myristica Fragrans, Houtt. Myristica fragrans
Tamil Name : ஜாதிக்காய் பொடி / Jathikai Podi
English Name : Nut Meg Powder, Fragrant Nutmeg Powder
Malayalam Name : ജാതിക്ക പൊടി / Jathikai Peati,Jatikkamaram, Jathika, Jathipathri, Jatiphalam
Hindi Name : दालचीनी का चूरा / Jaiphal, Japatri, Javitri, Jaipatri, Rampatri, Jae-phal
Sanskrit Name : Jatipatra , Jatiphala, Jatipatri,Jatiphalam, Jaiphal, Jaji-phalam, Jatikapongara, Jatikosha
Telugu Name : జాజికాయ పొడి / Jaji Kaya Paudar, Jati-phalamu
Kannada Name : Japatre, Jakayi, Jaatheehannu, Jajipatri, Jaikai, Jaayi Kaayi
Nutmeg or Myristica fragrans is a tropical evergreen tree from Myristicaceae family and its seeds are used to make the spice. The native of the tree is the Moluccas, or Spice Islands, of Indonesia and is mainly cultivated there and in the West Indies.
The spice has various pungent fragrance and a sweet taste so it is used to flavor baked goods, confections, puddings, potatoes, meats, sausages, sauces, vegetables, and such beverages as eggnog.
The kernel is the seed of this nutmeg fruit, which is actually a pleasant aroma and is one of the most valuable spices known from antiquity. Nutmeg is known as the medicinal property of the rainforests of the Indonesian Moluccas Island, also known as the Spice Islands, which appears as green trees all the time.
Botanically, the seed belongs to the Myristicaceae family, despite they have a similar appearance of M. fragrans they profound flavor, and aroma.
Here are the health benefits of nutmeg.
- Nutmeg have plant-derived chemical compounds that are said to have properties like anti-oxidant, disease preventing, and health-promoting.
- Jathikai powder enhance sleep by reducing cortisol- stress hormone level in the blood. Stress is the main reason for a sleeping disorder. People with sleeping problems are suggested with Jathikai to get a good night time sleep. Nutmeg has natural sedative properties and aids you to sleep quickly.
- Jathikai is a preferred medicine for babies or infants which has a major role in traditional urai marundhu. Old people used to give vasambu, sukku, kadukkai and few more ingredients along with nutmeg. It improves sleep in babies.
- Jathikai is good at treating stomach problems like indigestion, diarrhea, and gas troubles.
- Oil prepared from Jathikai is used to treat muscular pains associated with rheumatism or overexertion and it is also used as a massage oil or in aromatherapy. Jathikai also used for face, skin, and hair which cures pimples, blemishes, acne, and scars. It also used to treat oral problems like tooth pain, sore gums.
- The spicy nut contains oil trimyristin and many other volatile oils that provide a sweet aromatic flavor to nutmeg like myristicin, elemicin, eugenol, and safrole. The other volatile-oils are pinene, camphene, dipentene, cineole, linalool, sabinene, safrole, terpineol.
- The active components of nutmeg have many therapeutic benefits in many traditional medicines as anti-fungal, anti-depressant, aphrodisiac, digestive, and carminative functions.
- This valued spice is rich in minerals like copper, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, zinc, and magnesium which improves overall health.
- It is also rich in many vital B-complex vitamins, including vitamin C, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin A, and many flavonoid anti-oxidants like beta-carotene and cryptoxanthin that are essential for optimum health.
How to Consume
- Mix 5 gms of powder in 100 ml water, boil the content for few minutes. Once the water gets warm, filter the content and drink it before food twice a day.
- Mix jathikai powder in warm milk and drink it before going to bed which relax yourself and aids in better sleep. It also cure all stomach problems.
Make a paste with jathikai powder and water. Apply the jathikai powder paste directly on the pimples, then wait for 20 minutes and wash it off with clean water to get clear skin.
There are no side effects in using this product, and you can consider the medical advice for the usage of this product during pregnancy.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested, dried, and pulverized without the chemical interactions that assure the natural herb powders.