Botanical Name : Elwendia Persica
Tamil Name : கரும் சீரகம் / Karum Seerakam
English Name : Black Cumin
Hindi Name : शाही जीरा / Shahi Jeera
Malayalam Name : കറുത്ത ജീരകം / Karutta Jirakam
Telugu Name : Sheema Jilkara
Kannada Name : Kari Jeerige
Shahi jeera (Kala Jeera), also known as ‘Black Caraway Seed’, is native to northern India and Central Asia. Shahi Jeera is a wonderful spice that is often used in all Indian cuisine for flavor and taste which belongs to the botanical family Elwendia Persica.
It is much darker, thinner, and longer than ordinary cumin seeds and has earthy notes of cumin but milder and sweeter. Though it has a similar appearance to normal cumin seeds, it has a spectacular taste and an intense aroma. After toasting the seeds, the flavor becomes slightly nutty. Black cumin has a very ideal and sweet flavor like conventional cumin but both have different tastes.
Shahi Jeera is used in various Indian cuisine like bread, biscuits, pulaos, and some veg dishes. Use in small amounts to flavor meats, soups, stews, rice, and sauces. It is quite popular with Mughal cooking like biryani, korma, Mughlai & tandoori dishes for an authentic nutty flavor.
Some of the health benefits of black cumin seeds include;
- Shahi Jeera has antispasmodic, hypolipidemic, stomachic, stimulant, astringent, carminative, antibacterial, and sedative properties.
- The black cumin helps to reduce prickly heat.
- Shahi Jeera helps to cure chronic stomach disorders like ulcers.
- Shahi Jeera helps to relax the intestines and cure digestive disorders.
- Black cumin is very effective to treat skin diseases like eczema, psoriasis, and dry skin and also increases body metabolism.
- It helps to effectively stop the bleeding from the gums.
- It reduces the blood pressure level and helps to control diabetes.
There are no side effects in using this product, and you can consider the medical advice for the usage of this product during pregnancy.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested, dried, and pulverized without any chemical interactions.