Botanical Name : Piper Longum
English Name : Indian Long Pepper
Tamil Name : கண்டதிப்பிலி / Kandathippili
Hindi Name : पिपरा / पिपली / पिप्पली / Pipara/ Pipli / Pippali
Malayalam Name : കട്ടുതിപ്പിലി / തിപ്പലി / Kattuthippili, Tippali.
Telugu Name : పిప్పలు / పిప్పలి / Pippalu/ Pippali
Thippili, a very popular spice throughout Tamil Nadu, is widely used not only in cooking but also in home medicine. Long pepper has been used for its medicinal purposes not only in Tamil Nadu but also in countries all over the world since ancient times. Both the dried fruits of the long pepper and the roots of this plant are used in the preparation of medicine to cure various diseases.
The roots of this plant are called “Kandathipili” and the fruits are called “Gundu Thippili“. This highly medicinal plant is known in English as Indian Long Pepper or Pippali Long Pepper. Piper longum, a botanical name of Thippili, has long been widely used in Ayurveda as a medicine to cure diseases.
Thippili played an important role in the formation of a very popular medical compound called Thirikadugam in Tamil. Indian Long Pepper is a spice native to Sri Lanka, Northeast India, and South India and is very popular in correcting digestive disorders. In addition, Kandathipili has been shown to be a powerful stimulant for the respiratory system and has a rejuvenating effect on the lungs.
This spice acts as a thermogenic, meaning it plays an important role in the release of metabolic heat energy. This metabolic effect is caused by an increase in the level of thyroid hormone in the body. The various chemical functions of Kandathipili make it a common Ayurvedic supplement.
There are numerous health benefits of Piper longum. Some of them are given below;
- The fruit of the Indian long pepper plant is used to make a variety of medicines.
- This Indian long pepper is sometimes used medicinally in Ayurvedic medicine along with other herbs.
- They are highly involved in stimulating appetite, improving digestion, and are used to treat cholera, abdominal pain, diarrhea, indigestion, heartburn, and flatulence.
- It is also used to treat lung-related ailments such as bronchitis, cough, and asthma.
- Besides, it helps to treat conditions like fever, epilepsy, headache, toothache, stroke, vitamin B1 deficiency (beriberi), insomnia, fatigue, body aches, colds, leprosy, severe fatigue, coma.
- In addition, it treats nasal discharge, enlarged spleen, tuberculosis, intestinal worms, psoriasis, muscle aches, strokes, frequent thirst, snakebite, tetanus, and tumors.
- Some women use Indian long pepper in their diet for 3-6 weeks after childbirth, even after childbirth, to help the uterus return to its old size.
- Various women use Indian long pepper as a medicine or in combination with food to regulate menstrual flow, infertility, loss of interest in sexual activity, menstrual cramps, etc.
There are no side effects in using this product. Seek medical advice for the usage of this product during pregnancy.
- Thippili can also be given to the children, but you should very careful about the amount of powder you have given to the children because of its spiciness.
- Some researches prove pippali will help with weight loss
- Applying the thippali powder with water over the teeth will helps to reduce tooth pain.
- Thippili also effectively reduce cholesterol level.
- You can prepare kandathippili rasam to get more health benefits: Dry roast the 1/2 tsp of arisi thippili, 1 tsp dhaniya, 2 kandathippili roots, 3 red chilies, 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds. Pound this mixture with 2 garlic gloves. For the first stem to prepare rasam is, you have to heat the oil in a pan, add asafoetida, mustard, and curry leaves for seasoning. Once the mustard gets splutter, add 1 chopped tomato with the pounded ingredients and fry it. Add the required amount of salt and tamarind water. Once the raw smell goes, add boiled toor dhal water and allow it to foam for one time and then off the stove.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested and dried without the chemical interactions that assure natural herb products.
There are no reviews yet.