Botanical Name : Papaver Somniferum
Tamil Name : கசகசா விதைகள்/ Kasakasa
English Name : Poppy Seeds
Hindi Name : अफीम , ख़शख़ाश / Aphim, khuskhus
Malayalam Name : കറപ്പ് / karappu
Telugu Name : గసగసాల-చెట్టు / gasagasala-chettu
Poppyseed is also known as Khas Khas that belongs to the botanical genus of Papaver Somniferum. This is actually an annual herb that grows up to 1-2 ft. The stems of Papaver Somniferum are 30-150 cm in length and 0.5-1.5 cm in thickness. The stem is glabrous with a thick wax coating. The physical structure of the poppy seed plants is a numerous, tiny, white grey with an oily endosperm. Poppy is a self-pollinated plant.
Poppy is native from the Western Mediterranean region of Europe and is civilized in India, Russia, Egypt, Yugoslavia, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, China, Japan, Argentina, Spain, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Portugal for its legal pharmaceutical use.
- Poppyseed is used as an ingredient in most spicy foods and as a source of fatty oil.
- Though it has some medicinal properties, it’s mainly used for cooking purposes. It is used in bread, cakes, cookies, pastries, curries, sweets, and confectionery.
- The seeds are used as a sedative in the form of syrup, which helps to get recover from irritant coughing and sleeplessness.
- Khus Khus contains linolenic acid with anti-inflammatory properties thus it’s utilized to treat several kinds of skin disorders.
- Poppy seeds are also used for inflammation in the nervous and circulatory systems. Besides, the leaves and seeds of Papaver Somniferum have antiseptic properties.
- Khus Khus seeds are a great source of Omega-6 fatty acids, protein, and dietary fibers. It also contains various phytochemicals, including Vitamin B, Thiamin, Calcium, and Manganese.
- Poppy seeds are a good source of dietary fibers that contain about 20-30% dietary fiber by weight.
How to Use
- Add it as a spice to food. The best time to add poppy seed is while frying food in oil. It gives an excellent flavor to spicy non-veg foods.
- Khus Khus is also used as an effective moisturizer. The Khus Khus seeds are grind into powder and add some honey to make into a paste. Then you need to apply the paste on the face and neck and after 15 minutes wash with lukewarm water. If you continually do this process you can get smooth and shiny skin.
There are no side effects in using this product.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested and dried without any chemical interactions.
There are no reviews yet.