Other Common Names
|Botanical Name||: Coriandrum sativum|
|English Name||: Coriander powder|
|Tamil Name||: கொத்தமல்லி தூள் / Koththamalli Thol|
|Hindi Name||: धनिया पाउडर / Daniya Powder|
|Malayalam Name||: മല്ലിപൊടി / Mallipeaṭi|
|Telugu Name||: కొత్తిమీర పొడి / Kottimira poḍi|
Coriander was one of the prime spices brought to the British colonies in North America in 1670 and cultivated by early settlers. Coriander belongs to the botanical genus of Coriandrum Sativum, is commonly known as Chinese Parsley or Daniya.
This herb from the Apiaceae family is a year-round plant. Coriander belongs to North Africa, Southern Europe, and parts of Southwest Asia. It is a delicate plant that can grow to just 20 inches tall. Its leaves vary in shape at the top of the plant and at the base. Its leaves, which grow on stems, look like thin feathers.
The flowers are white or very pale pink, like a small umbrella, which is asymmetric. The petals of the 5 mm to 6 mm ellipsoid extend from the center. The fruit, which is 3 mm to 5 mm in diameter, is often used as a spice or for extra flavor in other foods.
Although all parts of the plant are edible, their fresh leaves and dried seeds are mostly used as staples in most cooking. Coriander is widely used in Southeast Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian, Caucasian, Mediterranean, Central Asian, Latin, Tex-Mex, US, Chinese, Brazil, Portuguese, Scandinavia, and African cuisines.
Phytochemicals in coriander provide flavor and aroma to the food, like many spices. The leaves are especially rich in vitamin A, Vitamin K, and Vitamin C, and moderate content of dietary minerals. Although seeds are generally low in vitamins, they contain significant amounts of calcium, fiber, iron, selenium, manganese, and magnesium.
There are various health benefits of Coriander. They include;
- Coriander helps to reduce unnecessary fat in the body and also helps in gaining weight and reduces unnecessary weight loss in very thin people.
- Thyroid conditions help to control and regulate weight loss and weight gain.
- It treats appetite, heartburn, etc, and improves digestion.
- This powder helps to reduce skin reactions like allergies, and treat skin diseases effectively.
- Controls diabetes and cures arthritis problems such as stroke and arthritis.
- Coriander can greatly help with severe bleeding during menstruation in women.
- In addition, coriander improves eye health and protects against eye diseases.
There are no side effects in using this product.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested, dried, and pulverized without any chemical interactions.
Gives the best flavor with lemon. It is good on meats and vegetables. It does a good job in the bbq smoker. Just try it and mesmerize in the delicious flavor of coriander.
Candida Pereira –
Perfect powder with a strongly aromatic, spicy smell
My family likes to add lots of coriander to the food items like curry and sauces. So I brought coriander powder from moolihai and the quality of this powder is excellent.