Botanical Name : Rauvolfia Serpentina
Tamil Name : Sarpagandha Podi
Malayalam Name : Chuvanna-vilpori
Hindi Name : Chandrabagha, Chota chand
Telugu Name : Paataala Garuda
Serpentina is a green perennial shrub belonging to the botanical family Rauwolfia Serpentina, which is also known as Black Snake. The plant is usually up to 60 cm tall and comes with erect fur. The roots of this herbaceous plant are pale brown with a cork-like tuber structure. The leaves of this plant are in three spirals, the maple is bright green and the bottom is pale green.
The base of the leaves is very thin and narrow. Its leaflets and nerves are long. The flowers of this plant are white and violet. The calyx in it is very bright and red. The egg-shaped trunks of this plant are slightly purple and black. In India, this plant blooms flowers from March to May.
Rauvolfia serpentine root has been used for centuries in India as it possesses sedative and hypnotic properties. It was used for treating various maladies such as insect bites, snake bites, malaria, febrile conditions, dysentery, and abdominal pain. It is an herb used in treating high blood pressure and being a great Indian folk remedy for mental disorders too.
Sarpagandha or Indian Snakeroot is an effective medicinal herb and gives many medical uses. Here are some of the health benefits of sarpagandha.
- The paste prepared using serpentine leaves powder can be applied to the eyes to get rid of corneal opacity.
- Ushna Virya and Tikta Guna of Sarpagandha provide an appetizer, digestive, cholagogue, anthelmintic properties, so it is used in loss of appetite, helminthiasis, etc.
- It regulates the heart rate and increases blood vessels by decreasing blood pressure. Due to its medicinal properties, Rauvolfia Serpentina is a universally known medicine for high blood pressure.
- It also decreases libido and regulates menstrual bleeding.
- It reduces Dysmenorrhea pain and can increase uterine compression during labor.
There are no side effects in using this product, but you can consult your medical advisor for its usage during pregnancy.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods:
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested, dried, and pulverized without chemical interactions.