Black rice is a type of rice of the species Oryza sativa. There are many varieties of black rice available today and are widely used in all parts of the world. It has a deep black color that turns purple when cooked. In India, black rice is used in making desserts that are served during festivals. They are also suitable for making porridge, dessert, bread, noodles, and Chinese black rice cake.
In South Indian States, especially in Tamil Nadu, Black rice called Kavuni Arisi has been used for medical purposes. It is boasted with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer properties that offer many health benefits. Consuming porridge of black rice without salt can remove dog bite poison from the human body.
- Black rice is very good for diabetes.
- It cures your leg pain.
- Supports your eye health.
- Lowers your blood sugar levels and keeps your heart healthy.
- Helps with weight loss.
- It can also treat abdominal pain, bloating, and other gastrointestinal disorders.
- It also reduces the spread of cancerous cells and prevents cancer.
How to use
Cooking black rice is also the same as other types of rice. Simply combine rice and water in a saucepan and keep it in medium heat. Once it boils, reduce the heat to simmer for about 30-35 minutes for the rice to become chewy. Once rice is ready, you can use it as in stir-fry, a grain bowl, rice pudding, or salads.