Botanical Name – Trapa natans
English Name – Water Chestnut
Tamil Name – Kashkottai / கஷ்கொட்டை
Hindi Name – सिंघाडा / Singhara
Malayalam Name – വെള്ളം ചെസ്റ്റ്നട്ട് / chestnut
Water Chestnut is an aquatic plant, that plants submerged stem grows up to 12 to 15 feet in length, anchored into the mud by very fine roots, The leaves are two types, one is finely divided, feather-like submerged leaves borne along the length of the stem, and another one is undivided floating leaves borne in a rosette at the water ‘s surface. The floating types of leaves have ovoid or triangular in shape, aw-tooth edges, and 2-3 cm long. The undivided inflated leaf-stalks 5-9 cm long, it gives added buoyancy for the leafy portion.
Water Chestnut Nutritional Facts (Per 100 grams)
- Calories -97
- Fat – 0.1gm
- Potassium – 584mg
- Sodium -14mg
- Carbohydrate -24gm
- Protein – 1.4gm
- Fiber – 2gm
- Calcium – 1%
- Vitamin C – 6%
- Vitamin B-6 – 15%
- Magnesium – 5%
Benefits Kashkottai (Water Chestnut)
- Kashkottai helps to lower down the level of cholesterol and discourages the absorption of carbohydrates.
- 100 grams of Water Chestnut has 2 g of fiber., and it is effective for the proper function of the thyroid gland.
- During pregnancy, it helps them grow and develop a fetus.
- Kashkottai has a good amount of potassium and it helps to counter the effect of sodium and it is a good one for controlling your lowering blood pressure, and good for the heart.
- The drinking of water chestnut juice helps to cure ease out of nausea.
Procurement & Agriculture Method
Our agriculture method is 90% Herbs are Wild crops and 100% organic by nature. The remaining 10% agriculture method is organically grown, dried, and pulverized with no chemical.