Other Common Names
|Botanical Name||: Illicium verum|
|Tamil Name||: Annasi Poo|
|Malayalam Name||: നക്ഷത്ര സോപ്പ് വിത്ത് – nakṣatra sēāpp vitt|
|Hindi Name||: स्टार अनीस सीड – staar anees seed|
|Telugu Name||: స్టార్ సోంపు సీడ్ – Sṭār sōmpu sīḍ|
Illicium verum is a medium-sized tree that has its native in northeast Vietnam and southwest China. This is also called star anise, star anise seed, Chinese star anise, or badian, which looks similar to anise in flavor. This is obtained from the fruit of Illicium verum, which is a star-shaped pericarp.
This star anise oil is used in cooking, soaps, toothpaste, mouthwashes, skin creams, and perfumery, and it is highly fragrant. More than 90% of the star anise crop in the world is used to extract shikimic acid, which is used in the oseltamivir synthesis as a chemical intermediate.
Health Benefits of Star Anise
There are some of the Health Benefits of Star Anise Seeds mentioned below:
- Exotic anise spice has important chemical compounds, which have been antioxidant, disease-preventing, and promoting health properties.
- Anethole is a primary volatile oil that gives a sweet, aromatic flavor to anise seed. Other important compounds include estragole, p-anisaldehyde, anise alcohol, acetophenone, pinene, and limonene.
- This anise seed oil is got from seeds that have many advantages in traditional medicines as a stomachic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, digestive, expectorant, stimulant, and tonic agent.
- These anise seeds are the main source of essential B-complex vitamins such as pyridoxine, niacin, riboflavin, and thiamin. Pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) increases GABA neurochemical levels in the brain.
- These spicy seeds are the most important source of minerals like calcium, iron, copper, potassium, manganese, zinc, and magnesium. 100g dry seeds have 39.90 mg or 42% required levels of iron for a day.
- Potassium helps control heart rate and blood pressure, an important component of cells and body fluids.
- Copper is a cofactor for so many enzymes, including cytochrome C-oxidase and superoxide dismutase. This cofactor is also needed for the production of red blood cells. The spice also contains anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin C and vitamin-A.
- This anise seed is used in many traditional medicines as they have the ability to prevent disease and promoting health.
- Anise is a worthful remedy for asthma, bronchitis, cough, and digestive disorders such as flatulence, bloating, colicky stomach pain, nausea, and indigestion.
- Anethole is an essential oil that has an estrogenic effect.
- Nursing mothers are prescribed to take decoction obtained from the seeds for breast milk production. Anise seed water has the ability to relieve the running nose condition of infants.
There are no side effects in using this product, and you can consider the medical advice for the usage of this product during pregnancy.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested, dried, and processed without the chemical interactions that assure natural herbal products.