Botanical Name: Wrightia tinctoria
Tamil Name: வெட்பாலை / Vetpaalai
Hindi Name: कपार Kapar, Dudhi दुधी
Malayalam Name: നിരവധി ഇൻഡിഗോ / niravadhi inḍigēā
Telugu Name: చాలా ఇండిగో / Tedlapaala, amukuda, jeddapaala
Kannada Name: Aale/ Beppale,Kodamurki,ಅಜಮರ Ajamara
Konkani Name: काळाकुडो Kalakudo
Marathi Name: काळा कुडा Kala Kuda, भूरेवडी Bhurevadi, goda Indrajav गोडा इंद्रजव Bark
Gujarati Name: દૂધલો Dudhalo
A small deciduous tree, that usually grows up to 6 m high. Leaves elliptic-lanceolate or oblong-lanceolate.
The flowers are white, fragrant, tubular, in terminal lax cymes.
Fruit of follicles in pairs, pendulous, 20-50 cm long, and cylindrical.
Bark and seeds are of medicinal value.
Flowers are used as a vegetable; tender leaves, seeds and pods are also eaten. Leaves yield a blue dye.
- It is a medicinal plant which possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-dandruff properties.
- It is also the best temedy for diarrhea and blood pressure.
- The crushed leaves are used as a poultice for burns, boils, rashes, wounds, and mouth ulcers.
- The bark of the plant can treat skin diseases like Leprosy, Ringworm etc.
- The Seeds have Anti Dysenteric, carminative, astringent, and Antihelminthic property which is used to treat parasitic worms.
- It detoxifies the body and removes waste as well as toxins from the body.
- The Root bark extract is used as an antidote for snakebite also the fine powder bark is used for kidney problems.
Plant Type: Evergreen Tree
Height: 15 m
Flowering Time: March-May
Flower color: White to creamish yellow
Flower size: 5-15 cm
Fruiting Time: Augest
Fruit Shape: Cylindrical
Fruit Color: Blackish-green