|Botanical Name||: Origanum Vulgare L|
|Common Names||: Origanum, True Oregano, Wild Marjoram|
|Sanskrit Name||: Maruvaka|
|Hindi Name||: Ban tulsi, Sathra, Mirzanjosh|
|Kannada Name||: Maruga|
|Malayalam Name||: Kattumaruva|
|Telugu Name||: Mridumaruvamu|
Oregano is the famous pizza herb that is mainly used in Italian and Mexican cooking. The leaves of the Oregano can be used either fresh or dried, which gives a warm and spicy flavor. You can grow this herb by sowing the oregano seeds. This herb has blue-green leaves that should be harvested before flowering.
Oregano is a wild herb that grows on the hillsides of the Mediterranean region. The word Oregano is a Latin word that comes from the Greek sentence, “joy of the mountains.” According to traditional greek mythology, Aphrodite (the goddess of love) gave Oregano for joy; they also have a practice of crowning a bride with Oregano.
For hundreds of years, this oregano herb has been used both for cooking and medicinal purposes. Americans did not know about Oregano until World War II; when returning from the war, soldiers and immigrants brought Oregano with them for its flavor.
The flavors of this oregano herb are spicy and astringent to sweet. Oregano can be grown easily from the seeds, which can be later spread or propagated by cuttings. This oregano plant needs a little amount of maintenance, and it grows in dry and average soil conditions. Oregano can also be grown in containers or indoors.
Some of the health benefits of Marjoram include;
- Chewing the fresh leaves will give relief from toothache, indigestion, or cough.
- Internal or external usage of Oregano has antibacterial, antioxidant, and antiviral effects.
- While using dry, the flavor is strong enough to give bold flavors like tomatoes, onion, garlic, and beef.
- This plant will attract butterflies, honey bees, and hummingbirds.
- Sow the oregano seeds below the surface of the soil and maintain the temperature between 65-70 degrees F indoors.
- Give a minimum of six hours of sunlight and maintain the soil moist after the seedlings grow.
- Transfer them when they grow big enough after the last chance of frost with a good spacing amount.
Oregano grows well in dry soil.
When the oregano plant reaches six inches in height, Fresh Oregano leaves can be harvested. The time for harvesting oregano leaves is in the morning. Harvest the Oregano by cutting them by leaving at least one inch above the ground for new growth. You can keep fresh leaves in the refrigerator for five days. Because heat conditions will destroy the oregano flavor, you should add it to hot food before serving. Dried oregano leaves have a more robust flavor than fresh ones.
There are no side effects in using this product, and you can consider the medical advice for the usage of this product during pregnancy.
Harvesting & Manufacturing Methods
All herbs are 100% naturally harvested, dried, and processed without any chemical interactions.