Botanical Name: Acacia Auriculiformis
Tamil Name: கத்தி சவுக்கு, கத்தி கருவேல் / Kaththi Savukku, Kaththi Karuvel,
Hindi Name: चाकू की चाबुक /chaakoo kee chaabuk
Malayalam Name: കത്തി വിപ്പ്
Telugu Name: కత్తి విప్ / Katti vip
The bark has 13-25% of tannin for commercial exploitation, it can be takes from the mature stems.
This can be done during the beginning of the sap growth so that the tannin content will be high and the bark can be easily removed from the wood.
Natural dye can be prepared from this bark.
- The most important use of this plant is for fuel wood. It has high calorific value being 4800 to 4900 kcal/kg.
- The Leaves can be used for the production of bio gas which are easily degradable.
- Even 13% of tannin is enough for producing the good quality leather.
- It also gives excellent charcoal that glows well and burns without smoke and sparks.
- The wood is used for making pulp. The pulp has high strength properties and is used in the pulp and paper industry.
- Because of its ability to survive inhospitable sites, it is much used in reclaiming wasteland areas, in conserving soil and water.
Plant Type: Evergreen tree
Height: 15-30 m
Maturity: 9 years
Trunk width: 50 cm
Leaves length: 10-16 cm
Flower color: cream yellow
Flower Size: 8 cm
Pods length: 6.5X1.5 cm