Other Common Names
Tamil: கிஞ்சுகம் kincukam, பலாசம் palasam
Malayalam: ചമത chamata, കിംശുകം kinsukam, പ്ലാശ് plaas
Telugu: కింశుకము kimsukamu, పలాశము palasamu
Kannada: ಮುತ್ತುಗ muttuga, ಪಲಾಶ palasha
Hindi: ढाक dhak, पलाश palash, टेसू tesu
Marathi: ढाक dhak, पळस palas
Gujarati: કેસૂડો kesudo, ખાખરો khakhro, પલાશ palash
Bengali: পলাশ palash
Konkani: पळस palas
Nepali: पलाँस palans
Oriya: ପଳାଶ palasha
Manipuri: পাঙ গোঙ pangong
Sanskrit: किंशुक kimshuka, पलाश palasha
Urdu: ڐهاك dhak
The Butea monosperma is commonly known as the flame-of-the-forest or bastard teak. It is the medium size deciduous tree of the pea family. The native of this tree is India and Srilanka. It is grown all over the Indian subcontinent.
It is normally grown in the open grassland and scattered in mixed forests. The plantation of the Butea monosperma is used in both irrigated and drylands.
The bar of the tree is a light brown or bluish-gray color. This tree has medicinal properties ao that is widely used in ayurvedic and Unani medications for various medical conditions. The seeds, gum, leaves, and flowers of the tree are used as medicinal properties.
- This herb is used as an internal and external remedy.
- The bark of this tree is used to treat external wounds and cuts.
- The Palach seeds have the palaosin compound, which is used to treat worm infestation.
- The gum of this tree is used to treat diarrhea and dysentery.
- The dried flower of this Palash tree is used to cure skin rashes.
- It is also used to treat the infection in summers.
- The flower of this tree has a high amount of sulfur which is used to treat skin ailments.
- The flower is also used to purify the bloodstream.
- The paste of the flower is used to treat joint pains, sprains, swelling, injuries, and arthritis.
- The bark of this tee has blood purifying properties.
- The fruits and seeds are used to treat skin ulcers and piles.
- Roots of a Palash tree are used as an analgesic.
- The root is also used to treat night blindness.
- The flowers are also used for menstrual cramps.
Plant Type: Tree
Native Range: India, Burma
Height: 30.00 to 40.00 feet
Spread: 30.00 to 40.00 feet
Light Requirement: Full sun
Trunk Diameter: 5′ – 6′
Leaf Color: Dull Green
Flowering Season: Spring– Before Leaves
Growth Rate: Moderate
Flower Color: Vermilion